Position: Market Systems Development (MSD) Specialist
Project: Developing Inclusive and Profitable Dairy Value Chains for Pastoralist Communities in Borena Zone
Deadline: 11 March 2022, 5:00PM (EAT)
Background of the Project
The project entitled “Developing Inclusive and Profitable Dairy Value Chains for Pastoralist Communities in Borena Zone” is a three years project funded by JOA, designed and will be implemented by CST, CIFA, OPA, and F&S. The envisioned project will work to enhance the livelihoods of dairy producing pastoralist and agro-pastoralist women and their households in the district of Moyale, Borena zone. By the end of the intervention the dairy market system in Moyale will be strengthened in ways that socially and economically empower women and conserve the eco-system. The project is planned to be implemented in Ethiopia / Oromia Region / Borena Zone / Moyale woreda (District) Tuqa, Maddo, Bakola, Argane, Mude-Ambo Kebeles (sub-districts) in ways that socially and economically empower women and conserve the ecosystem.
Overview of the Job
Fair and Sustainable (F&S) is looking for a dynamic dairy market system development specialist with strong grounding in MSD, private sector engagement in the context of dairy and pastoral and agro-pastoral community. The ideal candidate will have a passion for applying systems thinking and adaptive management approaches to complex development problems, experience with facilitation and stakeholder-led methodologies to implementation, a curiosity for learning and exploration, and a strong self-initiative and desire to collaborate across other implementing partners team.
General position summary
Fair and Sustainable Ethiopia seeks Dairy MSD Specialist at Moyale for the dairy value chain project funded by JOA and implemented with other three organization. The Dairy MSD Specialist will report directly to the project Coordinator and work to support the development of inclusive and profitable dairy value chain for pastoralist women. S/he shall work in close collaboration with Project Coordinator, private sectors, implementing partners (CIFA and OPA) government agencies and other sectorial partners. The MSD specialist is responsible for the facilitation and overseeing the implementation of ongoing and new priority intervention areas in line with the dairy market system development.
The dairy MSD Specialist will be responsible for identifying and recommending potential market systems for the projects’ target groups, detailed analysis of the selected market systems to identify the root causes/ constraints that affect the performance of the dairy market system (Core function, support functions and rules), and to recommend the potential strategic interventions to address the identified root causes.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Identify potential and willing local market actors who can work closely with dairy producer’s pastoralist community around the project target areas and create business linkage;
- Facilitate and implement activities related to dairy value chain development in the context of market system development;
- Organize & facilitate training & workshops provided for target groups in & around Moyale;
- Provide technical support for the project participants including the lead-firms in the area of entrepreneurship and small business management coaching;
- Facilitate the linkage of target beneficiaries with private sectors, government agencies and other individuals who are working along the dairy value chain;
- Maintain proper documentation of the project implementation process and outcome;
- Be the principal point of contact with the project beneficiaries, private sectors, local government agencies and individuals working with the project;
- Create good working relationship with other agencies and implementing partners on the dairy market system issues;
- Facilitate and supports the dairy producers (pastoralist women) to obtain sustainable market linkage with potential buyers and input suppliers;
- Work with market actors like inputs suppliers, producers, traders, aggregators, value adders, processors, dairy cooperatives, Agri-businesses, to strengthen their reach in serving pastoralist dairy producers;
- Work to mobilize, catalyze and enable market-based solutions to improve income for pastoralist dairy producers’ women and youth;
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting all output, outcome and impact indicators for dairy market system(s);
- Jointly responsible with partners for the effective implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the project, in line with jointly agreed standards (programme cycle management);
- Ensure timely technical support is provided, drawing under all implementing partners and the team;
- Supporting partners’ adherence to jointly agreed accountability, gender, safeguarding children, protection, supply chain management/procurement good practice, and other standards, as these emerge;
- Work with partners to regularly assess the quality of the relationship, ensuring that effective communication channels are in place, and that any shortcomings are addressed;
- Conduct periodic relevant risk registers and monitor them in conjunction with market system development coordinator;
- Support the program coordinator to regularly gather information required for the progress reports, and annual project reports according to the organizational contract specifications;
- Draft timely activity and financial progress reports to the appropriate government offices using the approved format;
- Attend different meeting organized by the consortium lead and share progress update.
- Identify opportunities and challenges in the dairy market system of the identified interventions in a regular bases and communicate with the project coordinator;
- Frequent and regular communication with the project coordinator while implementing the interventions;
- Develops short strategies and implementation plans for carrying out activities that strengthen good linkages between market actors such as inputs suppliers, producers, traders, aggregators, value adders, processors, dairy cooperatives & FSPs;
- Based on the advice given by project coordinator, implement and report regularly;
- Identify private and public market actors document their profile and share with the project coordinator;
- Capture, synthesize and share key learnings for cross sharing/ dissemination;
- Facilitate the linkage between the dairy producers and the dairy value chain actors;
- Monitor the performance of lead-firms and report their progress regularly;
- Submit weekly plan and weekly progress report;
- Submit timely narrative progress reports and other requested documents.
Duration of the assignment and duty station
- The term of contract will be for nine months starting from April 2022 to Dec 2022 with a possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funds;
- The duty station is Moyale with frequent travel to project target kebeles.
Required education, skill and experience
- BA /MBA holder in areas of business administration and value chain development, dairy sector, livelihood, Market System Development and business development;
- Strong pastoral background and understanding;
- Familiar with identification, selection and designing of intervention in line with dairy MSD;
- Experience of working in multi-stakeholders and multi actor’s platform;
- Strategic outlook, persuasive, influencing for positive change;
- Capable to facilitate learning trajectories and capturing best learnings;
- Can provide technical advice on dairy MSD in the pastoral and fragile context;
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in remote and potentially hazardous environments for prolonged periods, involving physical hardship;
- Command of MS Package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); Strong writing, reporting and communication skills;
- Good command of English & fluent in Affan Oromo;
- Excellent networking skills with the ability to establish good relationships, confident in engaging with colleagues, partners and stakeholders;
- Entrepreneurial, affinity to creativity and innovations written and spoken.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and networking skills with a wide range of private sector and proven experience in engaging private sectors in the development arena;
- Readiness to work outside of the framed job description;
- Excellent communication, facilitation and networking skills with a wide range of private, partners and NGO sector actors.
Influence and Representation
- Identify, builds and maintains close relationships with key government partners in Moyale;
- Manage collaborative partnerships with the back-donors, consortium/ implementing partners, lead-firms’ local governments and other stakeholders;
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Application and deadline
- Interested applicants who fulfill the above requirements can submit a maximum of 5 pages updated CV with a one-page motivation letter via email to Mr. Abdissa Tegene, Project Coordinator, email@example.com and CC firstname.lastname@example.org
- All application emails should have a specific subject line “Application for MSD Specialist”
- The deadline to submit application is 11 March 2022, 5:00PM (EAT)