Position: Market Systems Development (MSD) Facilitator
Project: Developing Inclusive and Profitable Dairy Value Chains for Pastoralist Communities in Borena Zone
Deadline: 14 May 2021, 6:00PM
Background of the Project
The project entitled “Developing Inclusive and Profitable Dairy Value Chains for Pastoralist Communities in Borena Zone” is a three years project funded by JOA, designed and will be implemented by CST, CIFA, OPA, and F&S. The envisioned project will work to enhance the livelihoods of dairy producing pastoralist and agro-pastoralist women and their households in the district of Moyale, Borena zone. By the end of the intervention the dairy market system in Moyale will be strengthened in ways that socially and economically empower women and conserve the eco-system. The project is planned to be implemented in Ethiopia / Oromia Region / Borena Zone / Moyale woreda (District) Tuqa, Maddo, Bakola, Argane, Mude-Ambo Kebeles (sub-districts) in ways that socially and economically empower women and conserve the ecosystem.
Rationale of this assignment
Fair and Sustainable Ethiopia is one of the three implementing partners in a three year program, entitled Developing Inclusive and Profitable Dairy Value Chains for Pastoralist Communities in Borana Zone, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia, led by CST Ethiopia and funded by the Jersy Overseas Aid (JOA). The project utilizes a market Systems Development approach to contribute to sustainable poverty reduction and social stability for vulnerable women in Moyale.
Currently, F&S Ethiopia is leading and implementing the MSD component of the project. However, F&S do not have focal person in Borana who can engaged in the day to day business operation. The team of F&S who are based in Addis found that, implementing remotely seems pretty hard to get the required result. Therefore, the purpose of assigning the dairy market system development Facilitator is to represent F&S at grass root level and to facilitate the smoothly implementation of the designed interventions in collaboration with other team of F&S. In addition, the MSD Facilitator, will help as a liaison person to connect F&S with implementing partners, stakeholders, actors, private sectors, individuals and government partners.
General position summary
Fair and Sustainable Ethiopia seeks Dairy Market Systems Development (MSD) Facilitator at Moyale for the dairy value chain project funded by JOA and implemented with other three organization. The Dairy MSD Facilitator will report directly to the project Coordinator and work to support the development of inclusive and profitable dairy value chain for pastoralist women.
S/he shall work in close collaboration with Project Coordinator, private sectors, implementing partners (CIFA and OPA) government agencies and other sectorial partners.
The Market Systems Development Facilitator is responsible to facilitate and coordinate an inclusive market systems development interventions focusing on building capacities of key market actors and pastoralist dairy producers with especial focus on women and youth to ensure their inclusion. In nutshell, the main purpose of assigning MSD Facilitator at Moyale is to improve market functions, support-service effectiveness and the business environment for the target groups in more efficient and effective manner.
The dairy MSD Facilitator will be responsible for identifying and recommending potential market systems for the projects’ target groups, detailed analysis of the selected market systems to identify the root causes/ constraints that affect the performance of the dairy market system (Core function, support functions and rules), and to recommend the potential strategic interventions to address the identified root causes.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Identify potential and willing local market actors who can work closely with dairy producers pastoralist community around the project target areas and create business linkage;
- Facilitate and implement activities related to dairy value chain development in the context of market system development;
- Organize & facilitate training and workshops provided for target groups in and around Moyale;
- Provide technical support for the target groups(pastoralist dairy producers) in the area of entrepreneurship and small business management coaching;
- Facilitate the linkage of target beneficiaries with private sectors, government agencies and other individuals who are working along the dairy value chain;
- Maintain proper documentation of the project implementation process and outcome;
- Be the principal point of contact with the project beneficiaries, private sectors, local government agencies and individuals working with the project;
- create good working relationship with other agencies and implementing partners on the dairy market system issues;
- Facilitate and supports the dairy producers (pastoralist women) to obtain sustainable market linkage with potential buyers and input suppliers;
- Work with market actors like inputs suppliers, producers, traders, aggregators, value adders, processors, dairy cooperatives, Agri-businesses, to strengthen their reach in serving pastoralist dairy producers;
- work to mobilize, catalyze and enable market-based solutions to improve income for pastoralist dairy producers women and youth;
- Identify opportunities and challenges in the dairy market system of the identified interventions in a regular bases and communicate with the MSD Technical Coach and project coordinator;
- Request for technical advice and support from MSD technical coach regularly while implementing the interventions;
- Based on the advice given by the MSD technical coach and project coordinator, implement and report regularly;
- Identify private and public market actors document their profile and share with the project coordinator;
- Facilitate the linkage between the dairy producers and the dairy value chain actors;
- Submit weekly plan and weekly progress report;
- Submit timely narrative progress reports and other requested documents;
Duration of the assignment and duty station
- The post is project funded and s/he is expected to devote three days per week. The term of contract will be for one year starting from May 2021, with a possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funds;
- The duty station is Moyale with frequent travel to project target kebeles;
Required education, skill and experience
- For BA degree holders at least 5 years and above in areas of agricultural value chain, dairy sector, livelihood, Market Systems Development and business development;
- Experience in the areas of value chain is required, basic knowledge and skill in areas of feasibility studies, business plan preparation; value chain marketing, market system development and report writing is advantageous,
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in remote and potentially hazardous environments for prolonged periods, involving physical hardship
- Command of MS Package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); Strong writing, reporting and communication skills; and Good command of English & fluent in Affan Oromo
- Excellent networking skills with the ability to establish good relationships, confident in engaging with colleagues, partners and stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial, affinity to creativity and innovations written and spoken.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and networking skills with a wide range of private sector;
- Readiness to work outside of the framed job description
Application and deadline
- Interested applicants who fulfill the above requirements can submit updated CV with a one-page cover letter via email to Mr. Abdissa Tegene, Project Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- All application emails should have a specific subject line “Application for MSD Facilitator”
- The deadline to submit application is 14 May 2021, 6:00PM